金曜日, 9月 16, 2005

Things lying around my room...


The Tale of Genji
(Classic Japanese Literature)

I bought this set of books at Kenokuniya here in Niigata-shi. This is actually the world's FIRST novel and not a bad read. It has been said that in addition to being the first, Genji is one of its greatest. I couldn't agree more, so it comes in useful on those train/bus rides to and from work.

Surprisingly enough this work was written by a court lady (Murasaki Shikibu) in 11th Century Japan. It focuses on the whole life of Genji "the Shining Prince," who is one of the Emperor's sons and his dealings with people in court (mostly women!) Thus, many people (including many of my Japanese friends) refer to it as a romance novel. But for me, this book is quite funny! Genji can be really ridiculous at times, for example when he couldn't have the lady he wanted, he managed to take her pet cat as a souvenir. So, if you're looking for a enjoyable read with a little Japanese history thrown in, check this out!


A little present my friend Chicka brought back from her trip to Malaysia. I've heard this (and the many onsen - hot water baths) will come in handy during our skiing adventures this coming winter.
We'll see!?!

Thanks Chicka. :)

1 件のコメント:

匿名 さんのコメント...
このコメントはブログの管理者によって削除されました。