日曜日, 11月 27, 2005

Thanksgiving in JAPAN 2005


















Here's what my Thanksgiving meal looked like here in Japan. We had about 40 ALTs make one dish and bring it to our Play Practice this following weekend. Everything was WONDERFUL, we even had two turkeys!!!
I made some Candied Sweet Potatoes, pictured above with lots of pecans and then later on the main table with the yummy marshmallows melted on top. Everyone seemed to like them...so....here's the recipe for those who'd like to try making 'em. :)

Candied Sweet Potatoes
8 raw sweet potatoes
3 sticks butter
3 c. sugar
1 c. brown sugar
2 c. milk
1 tsp. vanilla
1 tsp. cinnamon
4 eggs
1/2 c. finely chopped pecans
Marshmallows

Boil peeled potatoes until tender. Mix all other ingredients except marshmallows. Pour mixture over potatoes. Let simmer in a big pan for about 20-30 mins. on low. Mix occasionally to mash potatoes and stir mixture. Add a layer of marshmallows and heat in the microwave for about 5 minutes or until slightly brown. Enjoy!

***NOTE: This is how I made this in Japan, we don't have ovens here...so I had to do some playing/praying things would cook well, but no fear - they came out delicious!!!

2 件のコメント:

匿名 さんのコメント...

that was SOOOOOO yummy!! I bought yams today actually, planning to try making it myself! the c stands for cup right? and did u use vanilla extract?

Johanna さんのコメント...

hehehhee YES...."c" stands for Cup. Too Cute Grace! Let me know how it works out for ya. I did use some type of vanilla liquid (I was just lucky I grabbed the right bottle at the grocery store)

ps. I'm watching that silly puppet music video for HYD's "Wish" on MTV Japan right now...Blah...totally dorky!