水曜日, 1月 24, 2007

25 Random Things on my 25th Birthday


I turn 25 today, and I thought I'd mark the day with a post of 25 Random things about me...Because, honestly folks, I'm nothing if not RANDOM!!!
So enjoy the odd, but true facts about myself. Most of these you’ll NEVER hear me say again.

1. I spent a tremendous amount of time at the pool when I was younger and always after swimming, my parents or a camp counselor would pour rubbing alcohol down both my ears to prevent infections. Because of that I came to detest cotton balls being shoved in my ears. To this day, I shiver a little when I see cotton balls.

2. When I was 10 years old I once opened up all my Christmas gifts under the tree very carefully by cutting off the tape. I played with everything and wrapped it all back up – none the wiser. I think my parents found out two year later and till this day they won’t let me look at or hold wrapped gifts without commenting on that time.

3. I broke a window at my home town church – TWICE!
Once when I was playing volleyball outside with a bunch of other kids and the ball flew right at the stained glass and another when I was closing an old window quickly and my hand went right through the glass pane – leaving blood and glass everyone. That was fun to explain!

4. My hometown in Texas is called Shiner and takes about 5 mins. to drive through and that’s IF you get stopped at our ONE traffic light. When we were in high school, my friends and I would drive up and down the town’s main drag FOR HOURS just passing each other and waving. We called it “bustin’ loops” Now, I look back and can’t believe I wasted all that gas.

5. The first time I remember anyone ever cussing in front of me was when I was in Elementary school. I was sick and my grandma had to come and pick me up. As we were leaving the school block, someone nearly dented my grandmother’s car and she belted out “You SOB.” I had NEVER heard anyone say that word out-loud before, let alone my grandmother. That day forever remains in my memory and I remember asking my Mom the next day – “At what age am I allowed to cuss?”

6. The Sunday afternoon I was born, my father left my mother and I at the hospital b/c he didn’t want to watch the 49ers vs. Cincinnati Bengals play in the Super Bowl XVI on the hospital’s black and white TV. I was known as the “Super Bowl” baby. And FYI – that was the highest rated Super Bowl of all time.

7. I tell people my favorite song is “Whenever, Where-ever” by Shakira, but honestly…it’s “Broken Arrow” by Rod Stewart. It’s a classic and my chosen singing-in-the-shower song!

8. I'm very close with my family. Even though they can drive me a little nuts at times, I'd be lost without them.

9. I "found" myself when I went to college. I also found beer, a love of low-lifes with athletic builds, and pilates. 2 out of three isn't bad, right??

10. I love pickles. When I get the munchies, sour dill pickles are my splurge of choice. Unfortunately, I can’t stop eatting them once I start and a gallon jar will be finished within days. Don’t believe me, ask my parents!

11. My most embarrassing story was when I fell off of Dennis Quaid’s BMW golf-cart at a golf charity event. Tons of people, tons of cameras, and Dennis Quaid himself asking if I was okay – I was MORTIFIED!!! (If you want the full story, ask me in person – preferably with a few drinks in me)

12. I haven't kept in touch with any friends from college - ouch... ??? (‘cept me ol’ roommate Velvet)

13. On the other hand, I have really good friends from high school that I’ve remained in contact with till this day.

14. My favorite flowers are English Roses, and when I was in college and couldn’t afford too much (groceries, bills, rent, etc.) – I would always buy fresh cut English Roses to keep in my apartment on a weekly basis no matter how poor I was.

15. At 5 years old I got my first “Cabbage Patch doll” which was an actual homemade doll with yellow curly yarn hair and lanky arms/legs. I remember she always wore this white baby dress that use to be mine and she had this brown’ish signature on her rear-end. Growing up I always thought the brown’ish sign was a tatoo and I guess that was the first time I really wanted to get one as well. Which I did 14 years later!

16. Did you know the first can of beer went on sale on January 24th, 1935?
I did and I think that’s darn cool!!!

17. I was stabbed by accident with a sharpened pencil when I was in JHS. The nurse who took the lead out said it was the deepest pencil stabbing she has even seen. Till this day you can see pencil lead still under my skin on my right hand. Thanks D!

18. I have two different favorite parts of the day: 1) At 10am when the sun is already risen but not directly over head. It’s a time when there’s a pure clean light – I love that. 2) At night when the moon is full and it’s so bright you can even see your shadow. I think I even like the latter of the two more.

19. When I was little, every time I "ran away from home" I'd pack a backpack with gum and a hairbrush - nothing else. I'd walk to my neighbors house - pout for a while, and call my grandpa who would come pick me up and drop me off next door. Weird, huh?

20. I got out of a speeding ticket once by telling a cop I really had to use the restroom. I actually phrased it another way and he made me walk into a VFW hall late one night (since he pulled me over right next to it) with someone’s family reunion going on inside. He told me to use the restroom in the hall and walk right back out to see if I was gutsy enough to do it. I did and got out of the ticket.

21. People of all ages tell me I look like Drew Barrymore. It’s the chin – I swear, but when I was in college I had this Science professor say she was the “ugliest women alive” right to my face. Now, every time someone says I look like DB – I flashback to that comment.

22. When I was a Junior in High School, I got grounded for 6 weeks straight – no TV, phone, radio, internet, or car privileges. I missed my 17th birthday party because of it and now I can’t even remember why I got grounded.

23. On my 22nd birthday, my friends and I went on a gambling boat down in Galveston, Texas. I lost $100 in like one hour, so I was flat broke and still had 5 hours to kill while out at sea. In order to get free drinks, you had to keep gambling. So, my friend and I borrowed a quarter from someone and pretended to play the slot machine in order to keep drinking White Russians. 5 hours later we could barely walk off the boat thanks to 25 cents!

24. When I was in the 3rd grade my friends nicknamed me “Johanna HATE Darilek” b/c I was so mean all the time. Well...it wasn’t that I was really mean, I was just a tom-boy and wasn’t afraid to get into fights. Till this day, every time I dress up to go out with my girlfriends from back then – they’ll call me by my nickname just for the hell of it.

25. Last night, on the eve of my 25th bday, I felt so incredibly thankful for having 25 years of life - I've been so blessed with the friends I’ve made/had/kept, all of my family, and where I’m at that I can't wait to see what the future has in store for me.

Yayy for a Quarter of a Century!!! Cheers 25!!!

8 件のコメント:

匿名 さんのコメント...

Happy 25 Birthdaying Johanna san!!!
Lets enjoying drinking karaokeing soon!
thanks for the tequilla. i havent drank it yet... ;)
saving it for tomorrow.

HaPpY BiRtHdAy!!!!

Pam
-x-

匿名 さんのコメント...

oh my god, i love it. happy birthday, you beautiful woman!

匿名 さんのコメント...

You've turned into a beautiful woman whom I admire very much!!! Remember when Nolan told you something when ya'll were young and arguing....I think he's right..."you are adopted" :)
Not really....I remember every contraction of that miraculous day that you enter our lives.

匿名 さんのコメント...

I love love your 25 random facts. I was laughing all through it...To me it represents exactly who you are, an incredibly beautiful, adventurous, kind, generous, sweet, intelligent, quirky (and yes this is a compliment), and open person! I've had some of the funnest AND funniest moments with you and I love it! HAPPY BIRTHDAY Miss JoJo! You're a force to reckon with and I can't wait to see what the future has in store for you either!

so much luv, Grace

p.s. just saw ur new photo slide thingy on the page and my god you are a SUPERMODEL!
pps. gomen abt the belated wishes..I was out of town and out of touch from the internet!

Johanna さんのコメント...

Thank you everyone for such wonderful Birthday wishes! :)

-LOVE-

Johanna

匿名 さんのコメント...

Hey
Dad and I remembered why you were grounded for your 17th birthday...you had Megan sleep over and I found ya'll walking the streets (of downtown Shiner :) at 2 am. We probably didn't start with the 6 week ground but I but we added a week for everytime you "mouthed" off. Out of mercy we stopped at 6 weeks so you would be able to move out to go to college one day :) Love ya!

匿名 さんのコメント...

Hey there were some major things I remembered that you didn't mention e.g.
1) the time when you picked up someone's chewing gum off of the restaruant parking lot and was chewing it before I could remove it from your little mouth - OMG!!!
2) or the time when you super-glued Jonathan Fortune's 4th grade picture to the dining room wall (Anyone know how to remove Superglue residue?)
3) or the time that you were scared of turkeys (or are you still?)...
4) or the time when you almost killed your Easter chick because you dropped it and played with it so much...
5) or the time I saw your tatoo for the first time and I woke you up at 2 am to discuss it while we sat on the back porch swing ;)
6) or the time....
Has it only been 25 years? I can go on and on and I can't imagine the past 25 years without you filling them with such wonderful memories. Love ya!

Johanna さんのコメント...

I remember - I was in 8th grade when Meg and I walked the streets....so I was what - 13/14 years old.

Why was I grounded when I was 17???